Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Present Situation

Ok so I am backing off of my obsession with the future momentarily to rant about the present. I am not particularly pleased with my current occupation which is good considering I am about to make a complete career change. I always find it somewhat difficult to tell people what I do currently. Their inevitable answer is “oh, you must be really good at math” or “you must love numbers.” Um…not really. Throughout school, math was the only area in which I really struggled. If it weren’t for the math section of my ACT, I would have finished with a score of 35 or 36 compared to a 32. I am a lover of words, as can probably be surmised from my rambling posts. My career at the moment is not so much a career as it is a job, an aid to help pay the bills. There are some aspects of it I enjoy but the majority is tedious, monotonous work belabored by bureaucratic, politically correct bull@#$!. I have developed a reputation at my current workplace of being blunt, saying exactly what is on my mind and not sugar coating things. Now granted, I am not so stupid to be rude or demeaning or to get myself fired on the spot but I also don’t believe in dishonesty. My boss knows I won’t be making a career out of being a financial analyst and my coworkers know it as well. Anyway, this post really does have more substance than just a rant on my current job dissatisfaction. The point is that I cannot believe people would spend their entire life doing something they hate just to pay the mortgage on their three car garage, grinning all the while. Life is to be enjoyed. Life is to be reveled in, life is to be an adventure and a challenge. Life is meant to be spent doing whatever you love, not doing what pays the bills on things you don’t even need. Ok, stepping off my soapbox and rant over.

No comments: