Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Journeys and Destinations

I am the mistress of clichés. I don’t particularly believe them but I always have one handy when something distresses me. So the one I am thinking about today? It is not the destination that ultimately provides us with happiness but the journey. (Or something pretty close to that.) I called the local university and it will take me three more years to finish my teaching degree. Nevermind that I have already completed an Associate’s Degree. Nevermind that I have been taking online courses for the past year that apparently do not count. So does that mean three more years in Utah? Most likely. On a whim we looked at housing prices in Anchorage and we could probably swing a small one bedroom apartment while I finish my degree but the costs are exorbitant and we have the dogs. Pets are always an issue but they are even more of an issue when one weighs over 200 pounds and the other weighs over 100. There is almost more doggy poundage in our household than there is human poundage. On another whim, I looked at becoming an aid, or what they call a paraprofessional, in one of the rural villages we are looking at while my husband teaches and I finish my degree online but we are not sure how easy that will be. I could imagine cabin fever sinking in even more dramatically. However, the option is still floating around in the back of my mind. It wouldn’t be this school year but possibly the next when my husband has his teaching cert in hand and we have had ample time to try and sell the house. There really is no hurry but how boring will this blog be if it really is three years before I end up in Alaska? Enthusiasm can only carry this so far. I don’t suppose I would be so distressed if I were starting school in three months instead of seven. I have to work the rest of the year, it doesn’t make sense financially not to due to several things I won’t go into at the moment. So… seven more months of sitting on my bum in front of a computer pretending like I care, although not pretending too hard obviously. We already know I am not the world’s best actress. Seriously though, just because it is not happening tomorrow does not mean it is not as exciting or that it might not happen. It only means that I have more time in which to learn and explore and prepare myself.

No comments: