Friday, May 2, 2008

The Downside of Impatience

Sometimes waiting really is the best and the most intelligent thing to do. My husband admitted to me that if he gets this job in Anchorage, he might not be so willing to move to the bush to teach. He has always wanted to teach university level, it appeals to him more than the younger students, he just never desired the publication driven tenure track of a full fledged professor. If he gets this position he has applied for, it would essentially be his dream job in the state he loves. And while I would love for this to happen for him, it would essentially mean I will be stuck in the city. I have heard that of all cities, Anchorage is one of the most beautiful and does not feel so much like a big city. I am certain it has to be better than my current locality of Salt Lake City where the air is hard to breathe and the traffic is amazingly miserable. I am determined to make the most of whatever happens. My husband is not so certain he even has a chance at this position, he does not have much experience at getting jobs, but I have the utmost faith in him and his credentials. He is a brilliant man and sociology is his passion. He knows more about it than many of the undergraduate sociology teachers I have met. However, if more qualified applicants happen to exist and apply, then we will be out nothing and continue on with our current plan. We will make it to Alaska eventually, whether in two months or two years I cannot say.

No comments: